Research says that massage releases a hormone called serotonin which allows your body and mind to go in a “feel good” state. Ad a relaxed state of mind is necessary for mind-body wellness. Vibhoar, CEO, NEU Salonz, and Sangeetha R, Director Operations-Housekeeping & SPA (Bodhi and Bodhi Ayur) of Radisson Blu, Resort Temple Bay, Mamallapuram, list some spa therapies to indulge in:
* Reflexology: Reflexology, also known as zone therapy, is an application of pressure to feet, hands, or ears. This sends a calming message from the peripheral nerves, which, in turn, signals the body to adjust the tension level bringing calmness to the central nervous system. This therapy, apart from relaxing the body, also helps in reducing pain and stress.
* Relaxing Hair Spa Ritual: Getting a hair spa done is the best thing you can do to destress yourself. Because of the amount of pollution and dust that your hair is exposed to, there can be some serious damage. Hair spas are relaxing and one of the most favourable ways to nourish the hair by keeping it soft and healthy in the long run.
* Aromatherapy: One of the most sought-after holistic aromatic body therapies, this massage utilises the power of pure essential oil to soothe the mind, body, and soul. The treatment utilises gentle choreographed massage strokes that focus on the restorative properties of the essential oils instead of the physical pressure application, to reduce stress and promote good sleep.
* Balinese Massage: The Balinese massage is a high-pressure deep tissue treatment that utilises palm pressure, gentle stretching strokes, acupressure and essential oils to stimulate the flow of blood, oxygen and “qi” (energy) in the body. The boost to circulation helps in reducing stress and rebalances the body.
* Swedish massage: A medium pressure therapy, the Swedish massage aims to make one feel relaxed and content by promoting circulation and an overall feeling of well-being. The massage uses a variety of techniques such as stroking, gliding, kneading, rubbing, tapping and pounding to provide a classic massage for relieving tense muscles and relaxing tight areas in the body. Ranging between 60-90 minutes, the massage improves immunity by the manipulation of muscles over the bone structure.